in Milan, Gianpaolo Volpini's first F3 car was a 1953 500cc car that used
a Gilera engine and was quite successful racing in both Italy and France.
An abortive F1 project was undertaken in 1954 in conjunction with engine
builder Egidio Arzani, they bought a 1950 Maserati chassis and enlarged
the engine, which was renamed Arzani, and fitted revised bodywork. The
Arzani-Volpini was entered in the Pau GP in April 1955 qualifying at the
back of the grid. Tragically during the race driver Mario Alborghetti
crashed and was killed. The car was entered for the Italian GP later in
the year but was never seen again.
When F Junior became
popular Volpini began building, usually Fiat-powered, cars for the Italian
market. Consisting of a ladder frame chassis with unequal length wishbones
with coil springs and dampers at the front and a Fiat live rear axle and
a Fiat gearbox, drum brakes were fitted all-round. Despite having a driver
of the calibre of a young Lorenzo Bandini the car was not noticeably successful
although he did finish 4th at F Junior support race for the 1959 Monaco
GP. In April 1964 a Volpini-Lancia finished 9th in an F3 race at Circuito
del Garda and in May 1965 a Ford-powered example entered an Italian Championship
round on the Junior circuit an Monza but did not appear. The 1964 car
is likely to be a converted F Junior chassis since the Lancia engine was
used in later Junior models, perhaps the 1965 entry was meant to be a
new F3 design.